Wonderland of Lights 2021
Make your holiday magical with a trip to the annual celebration of Marshall's famed Wonderland of Lights.
Take in the Lights
Watch a Hallmark movie come to life as you stroll through downtown Marshall, one of the 10 most charming Christmas towns in Texas. Grab dinner with family, and shop for treasures in local shops. Enjoy in-store events or one of these special events:
- November 24 (5:00 pm): Courthouse Lighting Ceremony
- November 27 (1:00-5:00 pm): Wassail Walk on Main Street
- December 4 (6:00 pm): Christmas Parade
- December 4 (1:00 pm): "The Grinch" movie at Memorial City Hall
- December 5 (3:00 pm): "A Christmas Carol" at Memorial City Hall
- December 5 (5:00 pm): ETBU Tigers on Ice
- December 11 (5:00 pm): Christmas Car Show
- December 16 (6:00 pm): Merry Maverick Jingle Bell Run
- December 18 (10:00 am): Outdoor Christmas Market
- December 18 (11:00 am): Wonderland of Sites
- December 18 (11:00 am): Ugly Sweater Dog Walk
*Please note that the schedule is subject to change due to inclement weather and additional events added.
Spreading Cheer Since 1987
In 1987, the Marshall community was experiencing its worst local economy in its history, with unemployment skyrocketing to 20%. George S. Smith, then Marshall News Messenger Editor, was crossing the square and imagined the historic courthouse strung with lights. He returned to the newsroom and wrote "Picture this: Marshall's square, every tree, every bush...the Harrison County Courthouse Museum...a Gigantic Christmas Tree...businesses around the square...decorated in tiny white lights. It could be a spectacle that would rival any other Chritsmas lighting scene in this area, think about it. We could make it happen." A few months later a Marshall native living in France received a copy of the editorial and responded with a check enclosed for $25,000 and the simple note, "Have your wish."
Over the years, the festival has grown to include an outdoor ice skating rink, vintage carousel, train, and a collection of tiny houses making up Santa's Village. Additional weekly special events are enjoyed by residents and visors alike - though the 1901 Historic Harrison County Courthouse, adorned in millions of white lights, remains the crown jewel.