This Week's Activities
Week of June 21: "On the Wild Side"
- Newsletter: Recap of this week's and summer-long events for Tiny Tots and Kids.
- LEGO Challenge: Create an African animal! Email the library a picture of your animal or come by and see us and we'll take the pic. See below for challenge guidelines and details.
- *Virtual Program: On Tuesday, June 22 at 3:00, "Happy Birds" will be LIVE. Watch parrots do the most amazing tricks! If internet access is an issue, contact the Library Squad. We can help! See below for other upcoming virtual programs.
Happy Birds link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3173688171?pwd=K1d1dWVsQTVyQWwxS05CYndSZVlzQT09
Meeting ID: 317 368 8171 Passcode: happy
- *ZUMBA: Thursday, June 24 @ 9:00 am with Ms. Shannon @ City Park
- Recommended Reading: Here are suggested books for Tiny Tots and Kids based on this week's theme!
*Sponsored by the Friends of a Public Library
June & July On-Going Summer Activities
Reading Logs: Earn a bead for every 30 minutes read this summer! Keep track on the paper log or use the library's Beanstack app. Read for at least 2 hours to earn a limited-edition Summer Reading yard sign. Tiny Tots (ages 0-5) who listen/read for at least 5 hours and kids (ages 6-12) who read for at least 10 hours this summer will earn a ticket for the grand prize drawing held the first week in August.
Brag Tag Tracker: Complete suggested activities within each category on the brag tag tracker for Tiny Tots (especially for ages 0-5) or for Kids (especially for ages 6-12) to earn brag tags. As categories are completed, bring the tracker to the library and receive a tag. Brag tags are available through Friday, August 6.
LEGO Challenge of the Week: Kids (no parents allowed!) are invited to build a LEGO creation from their imagination based on each week's theme (see above). Email picture of LEGO creation to email@example.com—OR—bring LEGO creation to the library by Friday of each week so a member of the Library Squad can take a picture of it. Photos will be featured on the library's Facebook page and Instagram page.
All weekly entries will be entered into a drawing for a LEGO kit and will also be eligible for the grand prize drawing which will be held at the end of the summer.
Bookmark Contest: Create a bookmark based on this summer's "Tails & Tales" theme using the entry form provided. There will be one winner in each of the following categories: PreK-2nd; 3rd-6th; 7th-12th. Winners' bookmarks will be printed and made available to MPL's readers. Entries are due Friday, July 9.
B-I-N-G-O: Complete either the Tiny Tots BINGO (especially for ages 0-5) or Kids BINGO (especially for ages 6-12). For every row completed, earn an entry in the weekly prize drawing. Return completed BINGO cards by Friday, July 30 for an entry in the end of summer grand prize drawing!
Storywalk: Walk around the outside of the library beginning at the Crockett Street entrance (stair side) and read "What Do You Do with a Tail Like This?" by Steve Jenkins. Complete suggested activities and check off "At the Library" activity on the brag tag tracker available at the library or on the library's Beanstack app.
Virtual Programs: Below are the links (as they become available) for scheduled events. If internet access is an issue, let the Library Squad know--we can help! All virtual programs are courtesy of the Friends of a Public Library.
- The Story Lady: "Cool Cats" (available June 7-July 30)
- Happy Birds: Zoom program with Q&A (Tuesday, June 22 @ 3:00)
- Artist Rick Stromoski: Zoom program (Friday, July 2 @ 2:00)
- Wildlife on the Move: "Amazing Adaptations" (available July 9-August 7)
- Talewise: "Unicorn Breaks the Cage" (available July 16-July 30)
- Houston Museum of Natural Science: "Amazing Arthropods" (available July 23)
- Houston Museum of Natural Science: "Discovering Dinosaurs" (available July 28)
Virtual Stickerboard: Let's stick together! The community is invited to work together to complete a 4,000 piece stickerboard. With only 25 stickers available a day/per person, it will take all of us to finish the board and uncover the image by summer's end.