Carbon Monoxide


The goal of the Marshall Fire Department is to reduce the number of carbon monoxide incidents in Marshall and Harrison County and discourage anyone from using the range or oven to heat their home. Install CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of accumulating CO. Have your heating equipment inspected by a professional every year before cold weather sets in.

Potential Hazards

Any fuel-burning heating equipment such as the following can produce carbon monoxide:

  • Chimneys
  • Fireplaces
  • Furnaces
  • Generators
  • Portable Heaters
  • Space
  • Water Heaters

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there is an increased risk of dying in a home fire during the winter season. 

Unintentional Deaths

Often called a silent killer, carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels such as the following burn incompletely:

  • Coal
  • Gasoline
  • Methane
  • Natural Gas
  • Oil
  • Propane
  • Wood


Carbon monoxide enters the body through breathing. CO poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning, and other illnesses. Some symptoms include:

  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Lightheadedness
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath


  • CO alarms are not substitutes for smoke alarms. Know the difference between the sound of smoke alarms and CO alarms.
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month.
  • If your CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location and call for help. Remain at the fresh air location until emergency personnel says it is okay.
  • If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries or other trouble indicators.