Winter Weather Safety Tips
Here are some tips for dealing with
Remember the four P’s
• Keep warm, stay inside if possible.
• If you need to go out, dress in layers and wear hats, gloves and an appropriate coat.
• Avoid overexertion, as cold weather puts added strain on your body.
• Observe heater safety:
• Bring pets inside, and move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas.
• Keep adequate food and water available.
• Disconnect outdoor hoses, drain and store in protected area.
• Wrap exposed faucets and pipes - including those outside the house or in unheated crawl spaces, attics, garages and other areas.
• Bring potted plants inside or store in garage near interior wall to provide extra warmth and protection from wind.
• For cold-sensitive outdoor plants, put down extra mulch and consider covering with a cloth fabric of some kind to shield the plants from wind and frost.
Protect yourself from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by installing a battery-operated CO detector and never use generators, grills, camp stoves, or similar devices indoors.
It is also recommended that you prepare your car for winter. Have your car serviced and add antifreeze as needed.