August 12th 2013 Street Improvement Begins
NEWS RELEASE – CITY OF MARSHALL, TEXAS
MARSHALL PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT - STREET DIVISION
August 9, 2013
Re: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THE CITY OF MARSHALL ANNOUNCES START OF CONSTRUCTION OF THE 2013 STREET IMPROVEMENT, MAINTENANCE, AND STREET MICRO-REFINISHING PROJECTS
Beginning the week of August 12th, construction will begin on the 2013 Street Improvement, Maintenance, and Street Micro-Refinishing projects throughout the City of Marshall. Improvements, micro-refinishing, and in-house repairs will amount to approximately $1,552,842 this year and represents a strong message by the City Commission and City Manager that street improvement and maintenance issues are a priority and are being addressed.
Scheduled improvements and maintenance projects include:
- 23 streets to receive a new micro-refinished surface
- 11 streets to receive an asphalt overlay surface
- 11 streets and portions of streets to be reconstructed with asphalt overlay
- 1 major intersection to reconstructed as a new concrete intersection
- 2 in-house street improvement projects are scheduled
- 1 major City/County Interlocal Agreement road reconstruction
Scheduled improvements and repairs this summer amount to approximately 66,000 linear feet of street work or approximately 12-1/2 miles; similar to the distance from Loop 390 in Marshall to Jefferson, Texas.
Some notable projects include:
- Micro-Refinishing of Bell Cut-Off from the railroad overpass to FM-1998
- Micro-Refinishing of East and West Carolanne Street
- Micro-Refinishing of Evans Street from Van Zandt to Loop 390
- Micro-Refinishing of Navajo Trail from FM-31 to the deadend
- Micro-Refinishing of Norwood Street from Cooper Street to Loop 390
- Micro-Refinishing of Olive Street from Avenue D to Loop 390
- Micro-Refinishing of Park Street from Van Zandt to Loop 390
- Asphalt overlay of Bell Cutoff from the railroad overpass to Highway 43
- Asphalt overlay of North Grove from Travis Street to Highway 80
- Reconstruction of Buck Sherrod Road from Highway 80 to the City Limits
- Reconstruction of Holland Street from Martin L King Blvd. to Winston Street
- Reconstruction of the Poplar/Bolivar/Virginia Street Intersections
It is also notable that 2013 marks the first year that the City of Marshall will be utilizing the Street Maintenance Sales Tax as previously approved by voters; this year approximately $425,000 is allocated for repairs as part of the 2013 Street Program.
Starting next week and continuing for 3 to 4 weeks, there will be traffic interruptions and detours at many of the nearly 50 locations all over Marshall. We ask that travels be patient, as most of the individual street locations will only be impassable or rerouted for very short periods of time; the end result will be greatly improved street surfaces.
If you have any questions or need additional information about the status or schedule of an individual street, please feel free to call our Public Works office at 903-935-4485.
J. C. Hughes, Public Works Director
Download the attachment here:DOWNLOAD